I've been trying to find the perfect name for Mekdelawit, one that will carry over her Ethiopian heritage and one that will not be a burden for the rest of her american life. Mekdelawit is simply too long and difficult. And I just don't feel right calling her something ordinary like Jane or Emily or another common american name, even if I keep Mekdelawit as her middle name. So I thought perhaps a shorter Ethiopian name might suit her, and also be easier for her to deal with throughout her life.
Here are some other Ethiopian names I got from a web site that aren't bad, although none stand out to me as THE name for her:
Adina - Amharic 'she has saved'
Aida - Ethiopian princess who was captured as a slave in Egypt 'returning'
Amara - Amharic (Abyssinia) 'paradise' or 'eternally beautiful'
Amira - Muslim/Biblical 'a princess '
Amina - Muslim name 'trustful' 'honest'
Ayana - Oromia 'beautiful flower'
Beza - Amharic/Ge'ez 'redemption'
Eden/Aden - Amharic/Biblical 'the place of pleasure'
Layla/Lela - Amharic 'another'
Makeda/Makda - Amharic Ethiopian Queen (Sheba) 'high tower' or 'beautiful arm-rest'
Mare - Amharic 'my honey'
Mena/Mana - Amharic 'to allot' 'to weight out' 'also a river and town in Ethiopia'
Menen - Amharic 'grace' Ethiopian Empress'
Meron - Amharic ' gift from God'
Naomi - Amharic/Biblical 'pleasant'
Rahel/Rachel - Amharic/Biblical 'a ewe'
Roman - Amharic 'some type of fruit that grows in Ethiopia'
Saida/Saidah - Muslim 'happy'
Sena - Amharic '?'
Sitina - 'to be joined' 'joined by love'
Sofia/Sophia - 'wisdom' 'God sees'
Zenha- Muslim 'beauty'
Zenna - Amharic 'news'
Zennaye - Amharic 'you are my news'
from http://www.myethiopianame.bravehost.com/Ethiopianames.html
As any parent would probably attest, this is a very difficult and important decision. I'm sure once I meet her, it will be easier. But for now, I think all the time about what I will name her and I have no clear answers. I don't even have a short list. I just hope I end up picking something worthy of her.
New website and blog :-)
11 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment