May 19, 2008

Drought causing power outages and tragedy in Ethiopia (Warning - Sad Post!)

Addis Ababa will have no power for 2 to 3 days a week due to reduced water levels in their hydro-electric plants:

http://addis-ababa.wantedinafrica.com/news/news.php?id_n=4461

After reading about the drought necessitating the power outages and its impact on the people over there, I don't even care that there will be no electricity on some of the days while I'm in Ethiopia:

http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-05-18-voa15.cfm

http://www.oxfamamerica.org/whatwedo/where_we_work/hornofafrica/news_publications/drought-in-ethiopia-brings-hardship

Many of the people adopting through my agency have had their court dates delayed due to the power outages. I am so lucky and blessed that Meke made it through court when she did. This tragic news also reminds me once again of all of the things I am grateful for... and I'm sure that my trip to Ethiopia will intensify those feelings in ways that I can't even imagine yet. One adoptive parent who returned recently said that the experience made her feel horrified, grateful, guilty, and blessed all at the same time. This trip will truly be a once-in-a-lifetime event for both me and Meke which I'm sure will evoke a myriad of emotions.

My heart is already breaking for the innocent people dying from the drought. I think I can tolerate a little time without electricity.

0 comments: