June 12, 2008

Sweet baby Layla




Here's the little cutie sitting on her Dora chair that Dianne and Cass got for her. She is wearing her giraffe shorts that Sue and Kelsie got for her. Also above is her posing while she's race-crawling on the floor after the kitties. And the last photo shows her posing outside after a long day of playing without more than a few catnaps. She now knows how to wave and say "hi." She says "hi" in this singsong, high-pitched voice, dragging it out like so many people do when they say hi to babies. She says it at the strangest times (like in the middle of eating) as well as at appropriate times, like when she waved at the neighbor and said "hi" right after the last picture above was taken which was right when my camera battery died!
Her personality is so sweet that I actually miss her when she is sleeping. Then I think about the times that she is not so sweet, like when she's protesting, whining, yelling, screaming, grabbing, scratching, arching her back, making faces, holding her breath, and crying her lungs out, all of which she does on a daily basis. She is very needy. I can't yet determine if that is due to her huge transition (we have only been home for less than 2 weeks, after all) or if it's normal for her age. I also think part of her behavior is due to lack of sleep. I still haven't been able to get her into a routine and a daytime nap has been pretty much out of the question recently, although the nighttime has gotten much better. I might take her to see someone about her behavior if it doesn't get better next week. Every needy person needs counseling! Overall though, she is a dream, it's just that there are some very challenging moments.
Good news - no parasites!
She still won't let me style her hair so I'm settling for putting in headbands for now.
Tomorrow night we are going out for Japanese food with some friends, it should be fun!
I realized I haven't written much about my trip to Ethiopia so I hope to do that in the next post.

0 comments: