I swear, Layla gets cuter every day. Not so much her looks, although she is so striking that strangers comment on her all the time, as I've mentioned before. For example, tonight at dinner a woman actually stopped us leaving the restaurant to tell me how adorable Layla is. But that's not what I mean. Her little personality seems cuter and sweeter to me every day. As I mentioned, she's not all bad anymore, except for when she is tired or hungry or not feeling well (which happens a good bit due to the medicine she's on); at those times, all she wants is to be held and comforted. Mostly, she is pleasant to the extreme. She loves to laugh and play with people. The people at Hope's Place in Ethiopia said that she loves to play in their report given to me when I picked her up, so I think it's her nature to be loving and playful. I can't count how many times she makes me laugh throughout the day.
What also amazes me is that I can bring such joy and comfort to her --- me!!! We have definitely bonded. I only hope that I can help her deal with the myriad of issues she will face throughout her life. I'm lucky to have a great community for support in the truly amazing group formed by clients of my adoption agency. In fact, Layla and I missed the first Hope "reunion" held just this last weekend at which tons of adoptive parents and their children got together for a weekend of festivities, including eating lots of Ethiopian food! We couldn't attend this year due to scheduling conflicts, but we will definitely be marking the date and attending next year's reunion!
It's hard to believe, but Layla has been home almost three months now. Our first post-placement review with the social worker has been scheduled for next week. I go back to work next Monday and Layla will go to day care at the facility right on campus where I work. Their opening date is, believe it or not, next Monday! (insert spiritual musings here about how this is yet another sign that this was all meant to be)
Here are some pics of Layla with her hair done, posing with Aunt Mickey, and playing with her cousin Rachel.
New website and blog :-)
11 years ago

2 comments:
Love your blog. Writing is terrific and, most importantly, Layla is beautiful and so lucky to have a mom like you!
Love,
Mickey
Awwww....sweet babygirl!! Did you get Layla's satin sheet yet? Still cracks me up that our girls are sleeping on satin sheets already!!! What are we going to do when they're 16?!?! I'll be thinking of you both on Monday!
Post a Comment